Saturday, April 21, 2007

Drawing Interupted

Even when the weather is not so great the drawing is still good. I saw some interesting faces on the max this morning on the way down town. Unfortunately a lot of them always seemed to be staring at me when I was about to draw them. When I got to Pioneer Square it was overcast but there were still people out and about to be drawn. I little while into it I started drawing a man leaning against a pillar, he noticed I was drawing him and came over to chat. Turns out he was from the Philippines and he was quite excited to find out that I spoke his language. His name is Rudy and has lived in the portland area for the past 30 years or so. Originally he is from the Pangasinan province of the philippines. He spends a lot of his time at the Square playing chess near the Max Stop.


We chatted it up for about and hour discussing religion, philosophy, and the likes. At one point a guy game up and gave me use some of those bible tracts, you know, those little pamphlets that tell you that you are going to hell. This got Rudy all heated up and he proceded to argue with the guy for the next 30 minutes or so. I sat and listened. Good times. And to think I would have missed all this if I had not gone to the PDX Sketch group this morning. I think I say another Art Institute student walk buy with a sketch book during Rudy's discussion. I don't know if he was there to draw or just on his way to class.


When it began to rain I said good bye and hopped back on the Max to go home. I got a little bit of drawing in so I will post it. Looking forward to next week.

No comments: